Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Not Exactly What We'd Hoped For but It's OK

OK...maybe today wasn't exactly what I had hoped for, but that's ok! Steven and Tracy met in mediation; Steve said "how do you mediate with someone who asks for supervised visitation?" Steve basically said "no" to everything. They broke for lunch (Rick finally had a chance to go to In 'N Out) then went back to court. I was not there, obviously, so this is all second hand, but after the judge heard each attorney, he said to be totally fair, he wanted to appoint a minor advocate. This is someone who will meet with both Elizabeth and Jacob, and I suppose Steve and Tracy. I don't know, but I would imagine they would want to visit the homes of each party to see how they live. Then on June 18 they will go back to court and at that time the advocate will give the judge his or her recommendation. Both Steve and Tracy will know what the recommendation will be so they are not surprised in court. Rick told me, but I forget who the person is. Steve's attorney knows him and says "he's good". Until June 18th Steven retains custody with visitation by Tracy as it's been ever since she walked out. There are to be no sleepovers at Tracy's.

I cannot imagine how hard this would have have been on Tracy. I'm not feeling at all sorry for her, I was just trying to put myself in her position. Steve walked into the courthouse with his children, his dad, his brother, his grandfather, his #1 buddy Frank, and his attorney. Tracy walked in alone. How would she have felt, having to look at all these people she has lied to and cheated on. I had so many questions for Rick..."how did she look; what was she wearing; did she say anything to them; did she make eye contact"? He said she just looked cold. Rick said when they were waiting to go in the court room after lunch, she went over and sat beside Jacob on the bench, said something to him and all of a sudden Jacob looked like he was about to cry. Immediately Frank, Steve's buddy, said "I can take care of this". He went over and sat on Jacob's other side and started talking about sports and school with him. After a few minutes Tracy left.

I'm not exactly sure how I thought this would end today. How could a judge who does not know either party make a decision as to what is best for the kids. So now they will have their own attorney/advocate. Let's see...I think I read something in scripture about us, as Christians, having an advocate with our Heavenly Father. I hate to compare a judge with our Heavenly Father, but it makes me think. If anyone reads this little update, please let me know the scripture where this is found. I'm just too tired to look for it tonight.

I asked Rick if the kids wanted to talk to me, he said they were busy playing outside, then they would be getting ready for AWANA. So, it sounds like they are ok!

3 comments:

Shanzanne said...

Hi Cherie,
I've been reading and praying, and will continue to do so... I'm so glad the judge is considering what the kids want. Love, Shannon Carter

Cherie said...

Thanks Shannon...it's too bad their mother doesn't think about them! Thanks for praying with us!

I love you

Cherie said...

I knew it was going to bug me till I found it. The scripture I was refering to is 1 John 2:1."My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an ADVOCATE with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous". NKJ
(page 1965 in the MarArthur Study Bible)!