Sunday, April 6, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way back to Ohio



Some of you may know I don't fly. I take the train. I HAVE flown...I just choose not to. I enjoy the train. I USUALLY enjoy the train. It can be very relaxing. It can also be a little stressful. Well, I have had sort of a stressful time in California recently. If anyone wants to know about it, please just ask and I will be happy to fill you in. Otherwise, just please pray for my daughter-in-law, Tracy.

Anyway...I decided on the train ride home that I just wanted to be by myself to read and sleep and relax. So, I spent a lot of time in the observation car. There was a man in a booth right across from me who looked very much like he could have been one of the terrorists from 9/11. I kept watching him...he wasn't really doing anything out of the ordinary...I just really didn't like how he looked. He was very dark with a mustache and sort of wild hair. I kept thinking "there really is not much security on the train. Anyone could sneak an explosive on in their carry on baggage. It would be so easy." So I kept thinking about this and watching this guy. After dinner I went back to my car and wouldn't you know...in the seat right across from me was this guy I'd been watching. There was a man right behind him who he was talking with. The man in the seat behind him introduced himself to me, then said "and have you met my terrorist friend, Zair?" I must have looked funny, because they both laughed and Zair shook my hand. He said "I may be a Muslim, but I assure you we are not all terrorists". It turned out that he was a very nice young man; he was on his way back home to NYC after visiting his sister in Los Angeles. We talked quite a bit. When it was time for the lights to dim, Zair took out a blanket and laid it down on the floor in front of his seat. I said, "Oh...is that your prayer blanket?" He laughed and said " No...it's hard to sleep sitting up, so I just bought this blanket when we stopped in Albuquerque. I thought I'd lay it down to cushion the floor". I think he slept much better than I did that night!

No comments: