Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Father and His Sons


We have 2 sons. They are as different as night and day, as anyone who knows both can attest. They are wonderful sons and they are wonderful fathers. I believe that they are wonderful fathers because of the dad they have. He is truly a role model. While most dads were busy making money, "this dad" was busy making memories. I know these 2 sons have many memories of growning up in a house where there was always (well, usually) laughter. I know they remember the nights when their Dad, even though he might have been tired and wished he could just sit and relax, would sit and talk with them and read "Leading Little Ones to God". Friday nights were always special as they were growning up. Friday was "their night". They would come downstairs with stacks of games for us to play because they knew they could stay up as late as they wanted. I can remember many times when Steve would be invited to do something with a friend, and he would always say "no", because he didn't want to miss out on the fun at home. I know they remember the nights when the 3 of us would sit watching out the window of BOB'S BIG BOY waiting for their dad's bus to drop him off on the corner. We would hastily eat our meal and then drive back down to the church for Awana. (This was because we were down to one car for a while...remember Todd?) I know they remember the ski trips, the Yosemite trips, the trips across country to Ohio or North Carolina. I wonder if they remember the time we went to see "Chariots of Fire" and loved it so much that we bought tickets on our way out and went right back in to see it again? I'm sure they remember the times we sat on the ground outside the Chinese Theater, eating pizza while we waited to get in to see Indiana Jones. I'm sure they remember a lot more than I can.

It's been wonderful to see these 2 sons grow into the men they have become. I am ever so grateful to my husband who deserves the "Dad of the Year" Award for being such a wonderful example. Now, we not only have 2 terrific sons, but 5 wonderful grandchildren who are growning into adults who love the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have personally watched these men grow up! I am their "Aunt Nene" and I dare say probably their favorite aunt. Right boys??? Cherie is right. They are absolutely wonderful, and I adore them. I always have. My heart was breaking over Steve's situation, but today I rejoice with many of you. I knew God could do what He did!!! You all are in my daily thoughts and prayers. I love you, Elizabeth, Jacob, Connor, Cody, and Catherine! You too, Julie, Todd, and Steve. I'm so happy you all have each other to cling to through the tough times.