Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hollow Rock Camp

More pictures of Hollow Rock camp are located on my Picasa photo link. It shows lots of the cottages and surrounding area. (Mostly my family will be interested in these)



We spent an afternoon driving to Hollow Rock Camp on the Ohio River. I think it's one of the oldest camp meetings in the states. Rick's grandfather, A.K. Householder was the president for many years and was responsible for building many of the cottages on the grounds.
On this very corner 44 years ago, Rick and I talked to each other for the first time. We were still in high school. His folks had a cottage; I was a "dorm girl". We both worked in the cafeteria that year. One of my girlfriends said they had walked by his cottage and heard him singing "Sherry Baby" in the shower. The rest is history.
This building is located on what they call "Groaner's Hill". Men used to meet here to pray in the evenings and tradition says they could be heard all around the camp.
This building is where the cafeteria is located in the lower level. My job 44 years ago was to serve salads in the food line. Once someone told me they thought Rick was interested in me, I volunteered to wash and dry dishes which was what Rick's job was. By the end of camp, Rick and I were already talking about getting married. We still had another year of high school to go, but we got engaged in January of our senior year and got married right after graduation. (and they said it wouldn't last!)
The cottages are not at all fancy. Here is one under construction, and yes, those are cinderblocks used for the foundation. People here don't have to worry about earthquakes.

9 comments:

Niles said...

What a great love story. You guys were meant for each other but after that potato throwing incident, we all kind of wondered. Hopefully those days are long gone.

Cherie said...

Niles, Rick says you have a memory like an elephant! I haven't thrown a potato in a very long time! LOL

When a Picture Just Isn't Enough said...

Eeeek! The pictures are beautiful, but the story is even better! How fun and wonderful!! :)

So is Rick related to Dr. Don Householder as well? Or are there other "Householders"? I am trying to put it all together! :)

That was a very fun read!

Cherie said...

Hi Laina! Yes, Rick is related to Dr. Don. Don and Rick's mother were brother and sister. A.K. Householder was their father. In my Picasa photos of Hollow Rock, there is a picture of a cottage that had been Uncle Roy's. He was also a brother of Uncle Don. There were two other siblings; Mildred and Mary. To make things even more confusing...our brother-in-law, Bill, (my sister's husband) is a grandson of Mary's. So, my brother-in-law was Rick's cousin when we were dating. I know it sounds wierd, but it's really legal! LOL

Now, I'm going to check out your blog!

When a Picture Just Isn't Enough said...

That is so neat! I can't believe that I never knew all of that. What rich legacy! And how cool that your brother-in-law and Rick are related as well! So when did you and Rick come out to CA?

This is such a fun story! I love seeing how the Lord brought you and Rick together, and the fun start that you had. And it's amazing to see the connection between that camp and Grace Church, through the Householder family.

I am completely curious about the "potato throwing incident" that has been mentioned in the comments. It sounds very interesting! LOL!

Cherie said...

Well..."the potato throwing incident"...I believe that was Rick's cousin, Niles (who is also Uncle Donald's nephew) who brought that up. THANKS NILES! Anyway...I believe when we were VERY young, maybe Rick and I were having a little disagreement and he accused me of throwing a sack of potatoes at him. Honest...I didn't...they just happened to be on the counter and I gave them a little nudge. (probably a little harder than I should have) No one was injured.

Rick and I went to California in 1971 after he had been laid off from his job here in Ohio as a machinist. His folks had already moved to Chatsworth and were involved at Grace. Rick's dad would make recordings of John's messages and send them to us. We thought they were pretty great, although at that time, John had a high pitched voice and talked very fast. So...when Rick got laid off, we packed up the kids and headed for California. We were there for about 34 years. The whole story is very long and involved...someday I'll write it all out.

Anonymous said...

My wife's family has been going to Holow Rock for well over 60 years. Her maiden name was Kell.I am retired from Ohio Edison's Sammis Plant.We live in Florida now, but our children,grandchildren, neices and nephews still go there. some from as far away as Orlando and Philadelphia. Harry

Cherie said...

This is for Anonymous, aka Harry. I'm not sure if you will see this again. I'm just curious how you ever came across my pictures of Hollow Rock. The name "Kell" is very familiar to us. In fact, when I was in jr. high, my best friend Lois Anne Wilson and I ran around at camp with a Kenny Turner and Bruce Kell. Is there any relation? I think the people who own the cottage beside my folks have the last name Kell, and I believe they come up every year from Florida.

Bill H said...

Hello, and I'd like to say hi to Anonymous as well... I believe that you may know my friend Mr. Harry Schevlin...maybe you're his son? We were his neighbors at Hollow Rock camp while I was growing up....we now live in NC, but go to camp every year....hope you are well

bill herrin

PS...Cherie, I emailed you, and found your photos via Google
Thanks!