Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Just Right"

After 3 years, we have finally found a church we can call "home". Who would have ever thought it would take so long? I remember working at Grace to You and receiving phone calls from people around the country who were having trouble finding a good Bible teaching church. I would check our "recommended church list" and try to give information, but I always thought to myself "how hard could it be to find a church?" Well, we have been in the same boat for over 3 years. I sometimes felt like Goldilocks..."It's too cold, or too hot", but we could never find one that was "just right". For the last year we have been driving all the way up to Cleveland to attend Parkside, Alistair Begg's church. That was almost "just right". The teaching was wonderful, but with being so far away it was hard to get involved other than Sunday morning and evening. Now, with the gas crunch, it's just too far to make the drive twice on Sunday. Then low and behold, just a couple of months ago, we learned of a church only 10 miles away from our home that is, in a way, associated with Parkside. This dear church had actually just come out of a church split the end of last year and asked Parkside for help. Parkside generously offered to supply a pastor each Sunday and is now helping in locating a fulltime pastor. The name of the church is " Harvest". We feel very fortunate indeed, to be led to this church. The people are warm and loving and have accepted us into their family. We found out on our first Sunday there that there are ties to Grace Church in California where we had been members for nearly 35 years. One dear family even knows where Pine Mountain Club is and asked if we knew of Henry's, a tiny restaurant with the best salsa in the world! So, for now, we are a flock without a shepherd. We are praying for a pastor who will be "just right".


Harvest Church, our new home.


The parking lot and rear of Harvest

Someone must mow this lawn, but I'm not sure who.


This is Parkside, Alistair's church.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

When a Picture Just Isn't Enough said...

Wow, Cherie! I knew that you were going to Allistar Begg's church, but I had no idea that it was so far away, and that you had been through such a long search before finding the right church. I am so thankful for what the Lord has done for you in that situation! I vividly remember talking to so many people who called in to GTY asking for help in locating a good church, and it really opened my eyes to the reality that there really aren't that many churches that are properly teaching the Word of God. It's heartbreaking to realize that, and yet it made me even more aware of what we have here (and how we should never take that for granted).

I am so excited for you, and I look forward to finding out more! :)

Lindsay said...

Thank God you found a church! We are in the same situation - as we just moved from KS. We moved to a larger city and didn't think it would be that hard either, but it really is - especially if you came from a church family you called home and loved dearly. You give me hope to keep searching - even if it does take three years!! God will show us where we are to go.

Chrisie said...

Cherie -- Now that we are "friends" on Facebook, I wanted to check out your blog. Actually, I was curious because I saw that you have 2 wonderful sons and 1 wonderful daughter in law. That sort of peaked my curiosity actually! Last I knew you had 2 sons and 2 daughter in laws. So sad to see that things aren't that way anymore. Seems that there is a lot to pray about in that situation!

Anyway, just wanted to comment on Henry's...they have the BEST burgers too. Their burgers are so similar to Bob's Big Boy burgers. YUM...YUM...YUM. One of the few things I miss about Frazier Park ;-)

It is so funny...as you travel around you realize what a small world it really is. We were in Seattle last week and met a vendor at Pike Place Market who has a sister who lives in Frazier Park. I don't know her sister personally but know of her and have mutual friends. It's a Small World After All :-)

Glad you guys are finally "at home" in a church. If you don't have a church family, you have a huge void in your life! I don't know what we would do without Placerita Baptist. That has been our home for 11 years now. We are blessed!!